About the Role: Responsible for assisting the Accountant in day to day accounting activities, maintaining company’s financial information, and serving as a business partner to the other functional areas of the College.
About the Organization
Zaytuna College, America’s first Muslim liberal arts college, aims to help integrate the study of Arabic and Islam into the Western canon. Our mission is to educate and prepare morally committed professional, intellectual, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical ideas shaping modern society. We offer a Bachelor of Arts degree program in Islamic Law and Theology, as well as a popular six-week Summer Arabic Intensive program. We are located in Berkeley, California, in a historic building on “Holy Hill,” so named because it has the largest consortium of religious schools in America. We offer a friendly, respectful and collaborative work environment.
- Enter invoices and bills into QuickBooks software and run checks to pay the bills in a timely manner.
- Monitor purchase orders and match them with invoices when they are received and confirm management approval for payment.
- Follow-up as needed with vendors via phone, email and letters
- Prepare and send tuition and housing invoices to students and ensure they are entered into the proper accounts in the accounting system.
- Follow up on past-due invoices to make payment arrangements.
- Track employee time sheets, where applicable, to be entered into the payroll system.
- Receive and reconcile employee expense reimbursement reports, noting proper manager approval.
- Remote deposit checks received from constituents and other sources.
- Reconcile the monthly bank statements and investigate any discrepancies.
- Reconcile other cash and investment accounts and investigate any discrepancies
- Reconcile credit card expense reports and review for proper supporting documentation.
- Maintain audit trail of journal entry for bank deposits, credit card payment in the accounting system and in SharePoint.
- Enter daily, weekly or month end journal entries prepared by Accountant or Consultant.
- Maintain paper and electronic files, and opening and sorting mail pertaining to the accounting department.
- Assist in preparation of annual tax filings of 1099s and 1098-T’s
- Assist in preparing audit schedules and provide supporting documentation for year-end audit.
- Associate's Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience required
- Experience with QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel required; intermediate to advanced level
- Strong knowledge of Office, including Word, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information, exercise good judgment and discretion in handling information
- Must be able to work through deadlines and be dependable
- Accuracy and timeliness a must
- Possess problem solving, attention to detail, and analytical skills
- Work Status:
- Job Location:
How to Apply
- Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
- An Equal Opportunity Employer
Be sure to include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.